Saturday 20 October 2012

Going "Natural"


I went on the WWF website today out of interest to see how much my carbon footprint has changed since I last filled out the questionnaire a couple of years ago. It's definitely lower because I'm now a vegan, and I haven't been on any flights in the past 12 months, but I was disappointed with my score of  1.8.
The score basically means that I'm living as if I had the resources of 1.8 planets instead of 1.

Ideally your carbon footprint should be 1 or less.

Easier said than done.

As part of my new project, trying to live in a more natural and eco-friendly way, I've started looking for smart ways I can reduce my carbon footprint and protect myself from dangerous chemicals, without losing any modern conveniences.

I've been a fan of the Ecover range of ecologically responsible household cleaning products & detergents for years, but I've never gone as far as to change my toiletries. 

I've started gradually replacing all my toiletries with more natural ones that are cruelty free, don't contain any animal products, biodegradable, free from parabens and SLEs, and that have the least impact on the environment possible.
I've even started to use completely natural products such as virgin coconut oil and essential oils in my beauty regime, and I have to say my hair and skin are looking pretty darned good!

Every hairdresser I have ever spoken to has said that if you want decent, affordable shampoo, you're best getting a nice herbal one at the health food shop.
The likes of Pantene, Elvive, Tresseme etc are full of silicone and other slimy goop to make your hair appear shiny and "healthy".  One hairdresser told me she wouldn't wash her floors with the stuff! It was herbal shampoo, or proper professional  shampoo all the way!
Herbal it is then!

A sticking point for me however is deodorant (or should that be a sticky point?)

All the natural deodorants are aluminium free which means they don't stop you sweating.
The aluminium salts are supposedly harmful but without them, well, you sweat!
All well and good, but despite the old adage that "ladies only glow" sadly, I sweat like a horse in the Grand National. I just have to think about exercise and I break a sweat!

How am I going to cope without the trusty aluminium salts to avoid embarrassing armpit stains?!

I've purchased a deodorant stick made by Tom's of Maine which promises that I'll feel "confidently fresh all day!" Hmm, well we'll sees about that.  I'm not brave enough to try it at the office just yet.
I'll let you know how I get on... 

No comments:

Post a Comment